Botswana still committed to CAADP Implementation for Agricultural Transformation
The African Union Commission, the African Union Development Agency-NEPAD and Grow Africa undertook a mission to Botswana in March 2019, to provide technical support to the Ministry of Agricultural Development and Food Securityin re-introducing the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme processes and formulating the country’s National Agriculture Investment Plan (NAIP).
The team met with senior high level Government officials from the Ministry of Agricultural Development and Food Security, and other critical line Ministries such as Ministry of Trade and Industry, Ministry of Land, Water and Sanitation Services; representatives of high-level CAADP constituencies at the country level; Private Sector (Botswana Business), civil society; research organizations; Development Partners and SADC representative all supporting the agriculture sector in the country.
The main objectives of the mission were as follows:
- Re-introduce the CAADP process and discuss the potential value add for Botswana agriculture planning and implementation;
- Mainstream land governance issues into the NAIP;
- Mainstream private sector into NAIP using CAP-F as a tool;
- Foster high-level political commitment to achieving the Malabo Declaration;
- Identify the next steps towards the formulation and signing of the CAADP Compact;
- Offer an initial assessment of the current situation in the agriculture sector and make recommendations for the way forward.
The mission provided a platform strategic discussions on the potential value add for Botswana agriculture planning and implementation and started introducing the mainstreaming of land issues into the development of the Namibia NAIP. On the theme of agribusiness, Grow Africa’s Country Agribusiness Partnership Framework was introduced to a wide range of stakeholders.
Furthermore, a detailed indicative roadmap towards the finalising of the first draft of the NAIP by end of June 2019 was developed with an expected launch of the Strategy in September 2019.
An Aide Memoire was signed by the Acting Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Agricultural Development and Food Security, it priority areas towards the formulation of NAIP including the signing of the CAADP Compact.